[texhax] Dense textbook with small diagrams

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Oct 20 08:26:45 CEST 2007

Thankyou very much for reply Martin,

I am using Postscript because an application I am documenting
outputs in this format. Actually these are plain .ps files not
.eps, but they seem to work with /includegraphics just fine.

To clarify, the problem is that I had to manually print out each
figure, which meant carefully placing a frame around it and then
hitting "print". I had to do hundreds of these, so not all are
perfect - some have a bounding box one or two points bigger than
they should be.

What I would like to do is batch autocrop the lot of them, so that
the bounding box is *exactly* shrunk to the extent of the image.

Is that possible? I have a little awk script that makes font
adjustments already, and I thought I could tweak it to work out
the top, bottom, right and leftmost lines and then shrink the
bounding box accordingly. Turns out not to be so easy, mainly
because my knowledge of Postcript is poor and I'm really just
hacking.

I guessed this wheel has been invented?

Doing this by hand would be weeks of work.

thanks,

Andy

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 19:16:39 +0200
"Martin Schröder" <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:

> 2007/10/20, Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>:
> > 3) Any postscript tips/utils for brutally cropping .eps files
>
> a2ping, epstopdf and gs -sDEVICE=bbox
>
> Best
>    Martin
>
> PS: Why PostScript and not PDF?