[texhax] orphaned sentence

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Oct 9 15:12:37 CEST 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 8:16 AM, Loeghmon T. Nejad wrote:

> Occasionally the last part of a single sentence, or half a paragraph,
> flows to the last page of the document and stands unsightly by itself.
> How can I prevent this from happening with a latex command, if any,
> please? I like to avoid fixing it manually each time. Thanks.

You might be able to fix this by adding sufficient stretchability in
the design to minimise this happening --- probably any design
parameters which completely eliminated it would be unbearably ugly
though.

To quote from _The TeXbook_:

Authors who insist on even spacing always,
with sightly divisions always,
do not clearly understand the rigidity of types.
\author T. L. ^{DE VINNE}, {\sl Correct Composition\/} (1901) % p138,
p206

Typography is by its nature difficult --- computers make it much
easier than it was in the past, but there are some things which by
their nature require manual intervention.

A long while ago I wrote up a list of the manual adjustments I was
making to books to the TYPO-L mailing list (back when I was
wadams at atlis.com) --- you might find that useful.

William

--
William Adams