[texhax] zoom

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Sun Nov 25 21:38:39 CET 2007

Adrian Dusa wrote:

>Hello again,
>
>I have an almost finished thesis that I would like to give my supervisor for
>review. The trouble is the size of the default font in LaTeX is rather small
>for his taste, he would like me to increase it.
>
>I searched the web after font size, but everything I found was related to the
>LaTeX commands like \Large or \Huge, but I don't want to use larger fonts in
>*some* places but to increase the font size for the whole document.
>
>Actually I would rather not change the font size per se, because that would
>break the current paging arrangement. Instead, I would very much like to know
>if there's any possibility to increase *everything* on every page like in
>zooming. On a A4 paper there is a lot of unnecessary space around the text, I
>wonder if I could use that space zooming the text in order to preserve the
>current number of pages.
>
>I hope my question is clear, thank you in advance for any hint,
>Adrian

If you are printing through dvips, you can reset the magnification with
the -x <num> option.  Look at the
manual for the details.    I don't know what LaTeX may have done with
the \mag primitive, but you could
experiment with that (see the TeXbook).  Judiciously used, it will
probably give you uniform magnification for every dimension in the dvi
file, and it should leave line and page breaks alone.   If it doesn't,
then resetting -x in dvips certainly will.

The CUPS popup menu for my Hewlett Packard PCL printers allows global
magnification also.  Make a pdf, and print through a pdf reader.  (If
you do scale your output in this way, remember to turn off the scaling
in the next run.)

Pierre MacKay