[texhax] Avoid paragraph indentation on new page?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Nov 23 20:31:34 CET 2007

Edsko de Vries writes:

 > I am slightly surprised that people seem to think this is such a strange
 > request. Here's a small example from a printed book:
 >
 > http://www.edsko.net/example.png
 >
 > (sorry for the yellow highlighting, screenshot from Google books). The
 > indentation of the first line on that page just doesn't look right to me

Another convention is to avoid indentation and enlarge the vertical
space between paragraphs instead (\usepackage{parskip}).

Jan Tschichold, a famous Swiss typographer, explained in one of his
books why paragraphs should be indented:  Because, if a new paragraph
starts at the top of a page, without indentation this information is
lost.  Martin explained this already.

Though you could consider \usepackage{parskip}, I'm sure that for
scientific publications it's most important that the logical structure
of the document is clear.

 > -- am I the only one who feels that way?

I hope so.  Yes, it might look wrong at a first glance, but it isn't.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25