[texhax] bst files

Edsko de Vries edsko at edsko.net
Thu Nov 22 10:25:24 CET 2007

Hey,

> > The easiest solution is to simply put it in the same directory as
> > your .tex file. That would work. If you put it somewhere else (such
> > as in the directory where plainnat.bst is stored), you will probably
> > have to update the file database. On linux this is done with
> > "mktexlsr"; you appear to be using Windows, however -- I'm not sure
> > how it's done there. But if you put it in the same directory as the
> > .tex file, this step is not necessary.
>
> Yes, but "easiest" is not always the same as "best".
>
> If there's any chance you'll need the same files again for another
> submission, then you're much better off with the "proper" solution of
> a localtexmf directory system - the refresshing is really no big deal
> - and the general LaTeX principles are respected.  Also, once you
> adopt this strategy, you'll find life easier since upgrades and
> moving/renaimng folders etc. will not undo what you've done.

I agree with you in principle; however, in this particular case, I
disagree :) For any general packages, yes, put it in a local texmf
directory. *But*, for journal or conference proceedings specific
packages, I always put the files in the same directory as the rest of
the paper. You won't be needing that package for anything else except
perhaps future submissions to the same journal or conference, and
chances are they'll have made minor changes -- so you must use a newer
version anyhow. Globally installing a package that is specific to
exactly one paper seems wrong :)

Edsko