[texhax] Underscoring

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Nov 20 20:20:28 CET 2007

Martin Schröder writes:
 >2007/11/20, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
 >> But maybe there is a quite reasonable solution: We'll have LuaTeX
 >> soon, which makes TeX's internal data structures accessible.  If you
 >> follow the second approach, I suppose that it's possible to control
 >> underline position and thickness by a (Lua)TeX macro, and probably
 >> even the horizontal distances between the line fragments and the
 >> descenders.
 >
 > I don't think that this will help with descenders, where you want only
 > some parts of the line. Most likely you will only be able to have a
 > line or no line, due to the box model of TeX (no information about the
 > shape of the glyphs).

I had virtual fonts in mind.  Of course, these line fragments have to
be created manually for each glyph and inserted as PS or PDF specials.
The information is then in the VF.  If the vertical position and the
thickness of the line has to be changed, I suppose that LuaTeX could
do that.

 > Or Hans will eventually implement a solution in lua which uses the
 > real outlines from the fonts... :-))

Really?  This is not easy.  Will he implement PS commands like
charpath, pathforall, pathbbox... in Lua?  That would be very nice
because it allows people to determine the shape of initials and set
\parshape automatically...

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25