[texhax] Underscoring

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Tue Nov 20 10:20:34 CET 2007

2007/11/20, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
> But maybe there is a quite reasonable solution: We'll have LuaTeX
> soon, which makes TeX's internal data structures accessible.  If you
> follow the second approach, I suppose that it's possible to control
> underline position and thickness by a (Lua)TeX macro, and probably
> even the horizontal distances between the line fragments and the
> descenders.

I don't think that this will help with descenders, where you want only
some parts of the line. Most likely you will only be able to have a
line or no line, due to the box model of TeX (no information about the
shape of the glyphs).

Or Hans will eventually implement a solution in lua which uses the
real outlines from the fonts... :-))

Best
   Martin