[texhax] USING MIKTEX

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Mon Nov 19 19:57:28 CET 2007

The simple answer is that you can't use MikTeX with MS Word.  Nor would
you want to.  Once you learn how to use LaTeX, I think you will never
want to use MS Word again, at least not for academic (esp mathematical)
writing. You can create your entire document in LaTeX.

MikTeX is just one distribution of LaTeX.  There are others.  But MikTex
should do you fine, if you are running Windows.

There are many online sites for documentation.  Here is one good place
to start:

http://www.ctan.org/what_is_tex.html

Here is another:

http://www.tug.org/begin.html

Here is a great book for absolute beginners (which was me, not too long
ago):  Griffiths DF and Higham DJ.  Learning Latex.  Philadelphia:
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. ISBN 0-89871-383-8

--Chris

Christopher W. Ryan, MD
40 Arch Street, Johnson City, NY  13790
cryanatbinghamtondotedu
PGP public keys available at http://home.stny.rr.com/ryancw/

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]