[texhax] Alternative chapter level sectioning

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 12:22:05 CET 2007

Apologies for the noise in case of this being a FAQ, but I haven't found a
source that directly answers this question.

My book alternates between two styles, theory and practice. Each element of
theory is given a chapter.

I would like to define a new entity, called a "Practical", existing at the
same level as "Chapter", and in all important respects identical to a
chapter but for:

1) It's section name, appearing in the TOC and section title is "Practical".
2) Practicals are numbered separately from chapters.

leading to a structure like

Chapter 1: Theory of operators
Chapter 2: Fourier theory
Practical 1: Additive synthesis
Chapter 3: Chebyshev and Bessel
Practical 2: Waveshaping synthesis

My OO instinct is that I can somehow derive a new Practical class
from Chapter.

How might I go about this?

Thankyou.

Andy Farnell