[texhax] More plain TeX box fun --

Peter King peter.king at utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 14 05:10:22 CET 2007

I now know how to center a box on a margin line, as follows:

   ___
  |   |
  |___|

    |text text text
    |text text text
    |text text text

since \hbox to 0pt{\hss<boxmaterial>\hss} does the job perfectly.

Now what I'd like to do is to leave that box in place, and put a
second box -- perhaps itself made up of boxes -- on the same line
but flush to the opposite margin:

   ___                                   __________________
  |   |                                 |                  |
  |___|                                 |__________________|

    |text text text text text text text text text text text|
    |text text text text text text text text text text text|
    |text text text text text text text text text text text|

So given that the first box is centered on the left margin line,
how do I put another box on the same line but flush to the right
margin? (Either the centers or the tops of the two boxes should
be aligned.)

If anyone knows the answer, I'd love to know.  Even better would
be to have the answer *and* to be told where to go to get up to
speed on arranging boxes on pages. Thanks!

Peter King			 	peter.king at utoronto.ca
Department of Philosophy
215 Huron Street
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5S 1A2
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42