[texhax] making pdf document accessible using LaTeX

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Nov 12 12:39:03 CET 2007

On Nov 11, 2007, at 6:03 PM, Sauro Cesaretti wrote:

> I'd like to ask some information to create accessibile pdf
> documents using
> LaTeX.
> I have known that there are some guidelines to create as such, how
> can I use
> these guidelines in LaTeX?

Not yet AFAIK. pdflatex can't even make ``tagged'' pdf last I checked.

> In particular, I'd like to make mathematical expressions accessible
> and
> readable with screen readers.
> I'd like to do giving one alternate output using LaTeX notation.
> Example, reading a pdf document and will encounter
> a formula that for screen readers tools  is a graphical element,
> I'd like
> to read it driving the information with LaTeX notation.

That's a tough one --- why not just provide the latex source instead?

Most screen readers for example will flatten out the Pythagorean
Theorem to, `` `A' two plus `B' two equals `C' two''.

As an alternative, you could make a .html document where the
equations would be bitmaps and the alt text would be the latex source
for that equation --- Adobe does this on their opensource site.

> Could you help me with some information to do these things?

Hopefully the above will help.

> are there some LaTeX packages for this?

Not really.

William