[texhax] LaTeX and XeTeX

Chris Rowley C.A.Rowley at open.ac.uk
Fri Nov 9 17:21:46 CET 2007

Martin

Thanks for pointing me at this discussion:

It contains this from Jonathan Kew:

> I seem to recall discussing this with one of the LaTeX team at a
> conference some time ago (maybe Chris? Morten?), but have not
> followed up on it recently.

Such conversations have certainly taken place but, as I recall, only
at the level of 'there are few things that could usefully be added to
the LaTeX kernel to make things smoother for XeTeX users but nothing vital'.

However, just today the LaTeX Team seems to have committed itself to
doing what is necessary to make LaTeX work with XeTeX, at least when
using 8-bit fonts.  That does not imply that we do not want this to
work also with large fonts with lots of useful tables, just that the
latter is better supported by packages produced by those who know
about such fonts (on the whole, not us ... yet!).

chris