[texhax] Yap refresh

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Nov 8 12:49:07 CET 2007

I had not intended to start an operating system war. I ceased being
dogmatic years ago when I realised that I cursed from time to time every
operating system and application I used; there is no right answer and we
all arrange our systems and work to optimise what we do and/or minimise
the cursing.

I was aware that YAP is a windows application. For the M$-haters out
there, the best way to encourage people to move to other OS's is to show
the positives and possibilities. Whether they switch (or play with
cygwin or ...) depends on the individual's circumstances and energy.

And, just for the record, I the acroread approach of Ctrl-W, Alt-left
works in Windows as well. And my entire posting was a hint that moving
from latex/dvi to pdflatex/pdf has some attractions.

That should open the anti-Adobe flood-gates!

:-)

Steve

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 12:01 +0100, Philip G. Ratcliffe wrote:
> > Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> >
> > > it's a pity that the original question was about Yap, a Windows
> > > program.
> >
> > What a very odd sentiment
> > [snip]
>
> I think what Reinhard meant was that it was a pity that Steve's suggestion
> applied to Linux and was not therefore a real answer.
>
> Having said that, I share Reinhard's feelings towards M$ and I don't see why
> he shouldn't air them.

Professor Steven J Schwartz      Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Space and Atmospheric Physics    Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory          E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London          Office: Huxley 6M70
London SW7 2BW, U.K.             Web: http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs