[texhax] Yap refresh

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Nov 7 23:32:08 CET 2007

If you use pdflatex there are a variety of ways to do this. I'm most
familiar with the linux ones. Personally, I use kpdf as my previewer, as
by default it watches a file for changes and will automatically reload
it (to the same page, magnification, etc.) if the file changes. Then any
decent editor with an embedded terminal will make it easy to edit and
whenever you wish repeat the pdflatex command (I use kate).

Other strategies, copied from previous postings to texhax, include:

pdf previewing
===============
xpdf will take a stroke of the "r" key and reload the file to the same
page and location.
A posting to texhax provides the following:

start it by using

xpdf -remote key file.pdf &

then compile your document using something like

pdflatex file.tex && xpdf -remote key -reload

then xpdf automatic reloads whenever pdflatex is done.

Nice! And if you give a -raise option as well, xpdf will try to raise
the window (in kde 3.3 it seems simply to prompt you to raise it).

Another posting gives the following acroread tip:

Ctrl-W to close the doc
Alt-left to reopen the previous view (which has to reload the doc, but
positions it and goes to the same spot & magnification).

Steve

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 21:58 +0000, debian wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 02:34:00PM -0500, Loeghmon T. Nejad wrote:
> > This is what I like to do.
> >
> > 1- Open a Tex file for editing
> > 2- Latex the file, and Yap the output
> > 3- Leave both the input (.Tex) and the output (.dvi) open
> > 4- Continue editing the Tex file
> > 5- Every so often, or after making a major change to the Tex file,
> > view the results in the side .dvi window
> >
> > Is this possible, and if yes, do you know of  some script that will
> > automatically run latex say every 5, 10 minutes? Thanks.
>
> I have my xemacs window and xpdf window open along side each other.
> Once I want to view - I simply hit a function key and xemacs compiles
> the code and xpdf displays it.  Simple.  There is no need to wait 5
> mins.
>
> Joe
Professor Steven J Schwartz      Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Space and Atmospheric Physics    Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory          E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London          Office: Huxley 6M70
London SW7 2BW, U.K.             Web: http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs