[texhax] intermediate output

Graham Toal gtoal at gtoal.com
Sat Nov 3 19:47:14 CET 2007

> Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 14:37:44 -0400
> From: burlen <bloring at unh.edu>
> Subject: [texhax] intermediate output
> To: texhax at tug.org
>
> Hi I have a document where I have used \newcommand to define a number of
> macros. My question is can I have latex make the macro substitutions and
> stop, no further processing? I need to submit the document as latex
> source to publisher who does not allow \newcommand macros. My macros
> have arguments so simple search and replace won't work.

See http://www.mail-archive.com/tetex@informatik.uni-hannover.de/msg01277.html
and http://www.mail-archive.com/tetex@informatik.uni-hannover.de/msg01278.html

- found by Googling for:      \newcommand as a preprocessor macro

Personally I'ld hack up a quick macro processor in C and do it
myself[*] (or use a text editor which had support for balanced braces
and do a more complex search and replace than some of today's more
GUIfied text editors will let you do)

[*: easy as long as you're not mucking around with catcodes - you only
need to worry about the characters: '\', '{', '}']