[texhax] Calling an external command from source

ap tug at alxp.gr
Thu Mar 15 17:02:07 CET 2007

Hi,

I was wondering if there's any way of executing a system command from
withing a TeX source. I want to create a LaTeX command that can
automatically have a given file be processed and then use the result.
I couldn't figure any way of doing that. Of course, I could
externally call the system command before calling the compiler
itself, but for various reasons I would much more prefer this being
done transparently.

I tried to look a bit at graphics.sty and its DeclareGraphicsRule
command, which asks for a command as forth argument, put I can't
understand at which point the command is used and how.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.