[texhax] Beamer background picture

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Mar 7 16:43:55 CET 2007

Victor,

Your solution amused me, because I suggested it to someone on the
Latex-beamer mailing list who reported that it didn't work; I now see
that it didn't because I didn't set the beamer background to be
transparent, so the picture I inserted with eso-pic got covered up by
beamer's own background.

Anyway, in answer to your question, someone else offered the much more
elegant solution:

\usebackgroundtemplate{\includegraphics[width=\paperwidth]{<your_fig>}}

which reportedly works. Also, if you want a background picture on only
one slide (e.g., the first one), all you need to do is put this inside a
group that contains the frame, e.g.:

{
 \usebackgroundtemplate{...}

 \begin{frame}
   \titlepage
 \end{frame}
}

HTH
Steve

By the way, you might find Latex-beamer-users at lists.sourceforge.net of
interest. It doesn't get as much traffic as texhax, but occasionally it
provides helps on (or 'round) beamer's quirks.

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 14:18 +0100, Victor Ivrii wrote:
> %eso-pic routine for adding pictures \AddToShipoutPicture* would
> affect only current page
> %background.pdf is a file containing picture in question
>

> \setbeamercolor{background canvas}{bg=} %setting own beamer background
> transparent
>

> % Then as usual beamer document
>

> %%%%%%%
> %
>
> Does anyone knows a simpler solution?

Professor Steven J Schwartz      Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Space and Atmospheric Physics    Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory          E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London          Office: Huxley 6M70
London SW7 2BW, U.K.             Web: http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs