[texhax] URGENT : BUG no access to /i-packages/tex.ii2

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Jul 27 10:07:51 CEST 2007

On  27 Jul, 2007, at 01:29, MPavageau wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Latex and I may bother you with stupid questions. I
> immediately apologize for that.
>
> I am a mac user, not much familiar with unix commands... I am
> working on a macbook pro, intel core duo.
> I downloaded the mactex package and started to install.
> I am asked to use the i-installer that I installed on my computer
> beforehand.

I'm really surprised ---the MacTeX

http://www.tug.org/mactex/

installer should not ask you to use i-Installer, which is an
application to install another distribution, gwTeX, a sister distro
to MacTeX, and which can coexist with MacTeX

http://www.tug.org/mactex/whatgetsinstalledwhere.html#multiple

but is not MacTeX nor is needed to run MacTeX.

> It seems to work correctly.
> Launching i-installer (latest release), I am told that I should see
> in the i-packages box an i-package whose
> name is Tex and whose URL is http://tug.org/i-packages/tex.ii2
> (see http://chamblandes.tuxfamily.org/LaTeXMacOSX/latexmacosx3.html)

That page is old.

> I should then open and configure.
>
> Well, the point is that in the right-hand side box, no i-package
> with a name starting with Tex appears.

Now is called ``gwTeX based on TeX Live''.

But I insist that you don't need to install gwTeX ---it's a parallel
distribution, not part of MacTeX. Please read the instructions in
http://www.tug.org/mactex/ again.

You can also subscribe to the TeX on Mac OS X mailing list:

http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Best,

Axel