[texhax] \textordfeminine in plain TeX

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 19:16:15 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 10:40:25AM -0400, tom sgouros wrote:
> what name do you use?  Spelled how?  I can't make any name I know work.

Any name you'd use in the \font command -- this is where testfont's
macros eventually use it.  For example, cmr10.  Just search your
system for all .tfm files, and use their base names (without the path
and the .tfm extension).  List them with something like this:

  $ find $TEXMF/fonts/tfm | grep 'tfm$'

TEXMF should be set to the path to your TeX installation root (for me
it's /usr/share/texmf-texlive).  Some fonts might also be installed in
your local TEXMF tree(s), usually /usr/local/share/texmf and/or texmf
under your home dir.

Best,
Oleg

P.S.  Below is a quick script which automates the steps.  Just say

  $ testfont cmr10

and you should see xdvi pop up displaying the font table.

------------------------------%<------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

if [ $# -ne 1 ]; then
  echo "Usage: `basename $0` <font_name>" >&2
  exit 1
fi

set -e
TMPFILE=`tempfile`