[texhax] Amstex problem: sideset or operatorname

Zbigniew Nitecki zbigniew.nitecki at tufts.edu
Sun Jul 1 21:50:23 CEST 2007

I am trying to use the \sideset option to create a macro which prints
one argument (say v) inside brackets, with a "subscript", on the left
of the left bracket.  The code for the macro is
**********
\newcommand{\matrepvec}[2]{\ensuremath{\sideset{_{#1}}{}{\operatorname
{\lbrack #2\rbrack}}}}
*************

It gives me the effect I want, but has curious behavior with respect
to variable #2:  when I
invoke

$\matrepvec{B}{\vec{v}}$

I get not v surmounted by an arrow, but v tilde (or something like
it) inside the brackets.  What is causing this?

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155