[texhax] beamer and pgfpages

Tom Backer Johnsen backer at psych.uib.no
Tue Jan 23 15:42:23 CET 2007

Steve Schwartz wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 21:27 +0100, Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
>> As a matter of fact I *was* looking for pgfpages,
>
> Yes, I see that there is something called pgfpages. The only
> documentation I could find is at
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/graphics/pgf/doc/generic/pgf/version-for-pdftex/en/
>
> and runs 329 pages (admittedly, this is for the whole pgf package rather
> than just pgfpages. The relevant few pages start at p206. I haven't
> tried it, but it looks straightforward once you've installed the pgf
> package. Actually, I think you probably have some of the pgf package
> because I think beamer needs it, but not necessarily pgfpages. You'll
> find it at:
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/graphics/pgf/latex/pgf/utilities/
>
> I guess pgf has the advantage over pdfpages in that you don't need a NEW
> latex document (togehter with all the aux, ... files).

Yes, that is true.  You want to be sure the presentation itself to be
synchronized with the handouts, which means that you have to generate
the presentation first, and then the handout.  If you forget one of
the two after an editing of the frames, they are not synchronized
anymore.

On the other hand, it seems to me that the \includepdf alternative is
better in one respect, it is more flexible in respect to page numbers,
headers on the handouts etc. (but that may be due to my inexperience).
  So, perhaps using pdfpages is the best solution.

The problem of ensuring that things are called in the right sequence
is simple to solve, use a .bat file with calls on pdflatex (with
corresponding calls on bibtex etc.as needed) in the right sequence.

Tom