[texhax] simple manuscript

Sean Sieger sean.sieger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 16:49:22 CET 2007

"Axel E. Retif" <axretif at igo.com.mx> writes:

   On Jan 15, 2007, at 12:24 , Sean Sieger wrote:

   > Which doesn't build a table of contents but just the heading
   > 'Contents' at the top of the page of the first poem. I was trying to
   > suppress section numbering for the poems and in the table of
   > contents. How do I get the poems unnumbered

   Starred (*) hierarchical divisions don't appear in the table of
   contents by themselves. Below your section* you have to add:

   \addcontentsline{toc}{section}{apoem}

Thank you, I was using it unsuccessfully until you showed me this.

   > and the table of contents on a separate page?

   I don't know the article class, but I guess something like in the
   book.cls (which clear the page after Contents anyway) would work:
   after \tableofcontents

   \clearpage

Right, I added a \newpage beneath \tableofcontents.

   > Another thing I would like to accomplish is to move the page numbers
   > to top center.

   Again, I don't know article.cls, but I would follow William Adams
   recommendation and try memoir.cls (the manual itself is outstanding,
   as William has noted many times).

I am going to find the solution to the page numbering.

   Best,

   Axel

Axel, thank you for your time and hints--they led me further into the
documentation where I am finding answers. In fact, I stumbled on the
code that alphabatizes the words of a document as a step in building
an index.