[texhax] Aligning a Linear Program

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jan 2 23:01:21 CET 2007

  > Zac, On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 21:12 +0800, Zachary Leung wrote:
  >> Dear all,
  >>
  >> How do I align a linear program as in
  >> http://deutsixfive.googlepages.com/linear-program.jpg ? I've been
  >> using LaTeX for three years, but haven't figured this out yet.

  > Hmm. I'd have thoought either a simple eqnarray or using the array
  > package would do what you want, unless I'm missing the point. See
  > the appended code.

The eqnarray is probably not the best solution because it inserts more
space at the tabulators than usually desired.

AMS-LaTeX provides better solutions.  I always recommend to look into
the AMS-LaTeX manual before typesetting math formulas.  It does not
cost much time because while browsing the examples you'll find very
fast what you need.  AMS-LaTeX provides so many things which cannot be
done easily in standard LaTeX, hence it is always worthwhile to look
into its manual.

The manual is called amsldoc.pdf or amsldoc.dvi and should be shipped
with any TeX distribution.  You'll find it in the doc directory.

It's on CTAN too, of course:

 http://ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/required/amslatex/math/amsldoc.pdf

Thanks for your suggestions, Steve.  Please don't regard this mail as
criticism, I just can't resist to point people to the AMS-LaTeX manual.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25