[texhax] verbatim environment problem

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Mon Feb 19 21:17:06 CET 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 10:18 , Barbara Beeton wrote:

> from don gingrich:
>
>> I'm writing an explanatory text about Bourne shell scripting.
>>
>> I need to be able to use a lot of control characters in
>> text I'm writing. I can usually get it to work but this has me
>> stumped. Any suggestions gratefully apreciated.
>     [snip]
>> \begin{alltt}
>> 	ls .[^.]*
>> \end{alltt}
>> }}
>
> from justin walker:
>
>     Martin may have the more correct answer (I haven't tried it).
>
>     Note that the 'uparrow' is a math symbol, so (La)TeX expects it
> to be
>     in a "math environment". Thus, as a simpler change, to avoid the
>     error, there are two approaches (the second being the one you
> want, I
>     think; but try them both):
>
>     ls .[$^$.]*
>
>     or
>
>     ls .[$\uparrow$.]*
>
> right diagnosis, inadequate solution.

Gee.  No one's ever called me inadequate before :-}

> since the ^ indicates a superscript, the first
> suggestion will yield a complaint that it's
> incomplete.

I don't see the complaint in the log file.  I'm using TeXShop on Mac
OS X, and all I see is some 'underfull \hbox' babble.  No other
complaints.

>   and the \uparrow isn't the same
> shape.
>
> here's a (plain tex) trick to get a character
> "to print as itself" in a tt mode:
>
>   ls .[\char`\^.]*

This may be a simple matter of fonts, but I get the following
(forgive the PDF in-line), where the order is as above (with your
version last):