[texhax] verbatim environment problem

Don Gingrich gingrich at cs.rmit.edu.au
Mon Feb 19 08:44:38 CET 2007

I'm writing an explanatory text about Bourne shell scripting.

I need to be able to use a lot of control characters in
text I'm writing. I can usually get it to work but this has me
stumped. Any suggestions gratefully apreciated.

I want to put some text in a "sidebar" but the parser seems
to think I'm in math mode for some reason.

I've tried  \verb and \verbatimtab also. They did not
work either. I also tried \{lstlisting} It did not work either.

It looks like an interaction between the parbox or the fbox and
the verbatim, but I need them to get a reduced size paragraph in
a box, don't I?

The following file demonstrates the problem:

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\setlength{\oddsidemargin}{-0.25in}
\setlength{\textwidth}{7in}
\setlength{\topmargin}{-1in}
\setlength{\textheight}{9.55in}
\usepackage{amsfonts}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{fancybox}
\usepackage{a4wide,epsfig,ifthen,alltt}
\usepackage{ulem}
\usepackage{float,graphics,verbatim,moreverb}
\usepackage{upquote}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{listings}
\floatstyle{boxed}
\restylefloat{table}

\begin{document}

\fbox{\parbox{14cm}{

\textbf{Note:} One of the problems with \textsc{Unix} as an ``open system''
is that a variety of people have developed \textsc{Unix} commands, shells and
other tools.
There is no corporate ``big brother'' making sure that all of the commands
work the same way.
The above construct is a case in point.
In Bourne shell and Korn shell the correct usage is as above:\\
\begin{alltt}
	ls .[!.]*
\end{alltt}

But, for \texttt{tcsh} (the default login shell on CS\&IT systems), \texttt{csh}, \texttt{zsh},
BASH and probably a few other shells that use command history systems,
the ``!'' character is used to signify a substitution from the
command history.

On these shells, to get the same result you would need to use:\\
\begin{alltt}
	ls .[^.]*
\end{alltt}
}}

\end{document}

The error message from LaTeX is:

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 42--42

! Missing $ inserted.
<inserted text>
                $
l.42 }}