[texhax] Vista and TeX (well, almost)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Feb 9 01:51:07 CET 2007

  > Actually this quest applies to any OS but for my co-workers MS is
  > still the One True Way so that has priority.

  > Does anyone know of a `text editor' that is easily capable of
  > being made `aware' of both:

  >   LaTeX syntax (including well-coded packages)

  >   Unicode 5.0

  > The latter must include at least understanding that there are
  > Unicode slots for numbers above "FFFF.

UTF-8 is supported by LaTeX and Emacs.  I strongly recommend the alpha
version of Emacs because UTF-8 support (and many other things) had
been improved significantly since version 21.

At

   ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/auctex

you'll find binaries for Windows and sources for other platforms.

The package also provides auctex, reftex, and preview-latex.

In order to install it on Windows you just have to extract the zip
file and to link bin\runemacs.exe to the desktop.  I "only" have
TeXLive installed at work and I suppose that Emacs uses kpsewhich in
order to find out where the LaTeX files are installed but I don't have
any experience with MikTeX.

After installation go to the menu:

   Options => mule (Multilingual Environment)

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25