[texhax] the command \includeonly{} in LaTeX

David C. Walden dave at walden-family.com
Thu Feb 1 22:20:41 CET 2007

I believe you also need \include{label} in the list of
includes after \begin{document}.  My practice is to
\include all of the files in the whole multi-file document
in the main body of the main file, and then \includeonly a
subset of those files in the preamble.

At 12:04 PM 2/1/2007, David Romano wrote:
>I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask about this, so please let
>me know if I should be asking this elsewhere:  When I try to use the
>\includeonly and \include commands in a root file, I get a "There were
>undefinded references" message despite having the file which contains the
>\label command among the files used in the \includeonly command.  Below
>are sample files which reproduce this error message.
>
>Thanks for any help!
>David Romano
>
>------file label.tex
>\begin{enumerate}
>\item
>Labeled text.
>\label{test}
>\end{enumerate}
>--------------------
>
>------file reference.tex
>Where is \ref{test}?
>--------------------
>
>------file main.tex
>\documentclass[11pt]{article}
>\includeonly{
>label,
>reference
>}
>\begin{document}
>\include{reference}
>\end{document}

            * see http://www.walden-family.com/breakthrough *
home address: 12 Linden Rd., E. Sandwich, MA 02537; ph/fax=508-888-7655/4168