[texhax] What has happened to PLTOTF???

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Thu Dec 27 22:20:16 CET 2007

I recently tried to check something by running tftopl and then running
pltotf.

The two programs are identified as "Nihongo"

tftopl gives what looks like a valid PL file.  There are no oddities in
the file as viewed in emacs, but I cannot make a TFM out of that file.

pltotf appears to run alright, but I when I check the resulting TFM,
using tftopl again,
I get

tftopl -verbose murr-nep10e.tfm jjunk.pl
This is Nihongo TFtoPL, Version 3.2-p1.5 (Web2C 7.4.5)
process kanji code is euc.
The file has fewer bytes than it claims!
Sorry, but I can't go on; are you sure this is a TFM?

I have tried with some well established TFM files so that I know that
they are valid
and I cannot get a correct result with tftopl -> pltotf -> tftopl.

This is a very serious hole in TeX support ware.

Pierre MacKay