[texhax] Problem with \let

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Wed Aug 22 04:00:44 CEST 2007

Here is a problem that has me stymied.  Consider the file:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{test}

\begin{document}
\cite{slo}
\begin{thebibliography}{}
\bibitem [S\pol omi\'nski (1959)]{slo} J. S\pol omi\'nski (1959), {\bf
The theory of abstract algebras with infinitary operations}.  Rozprawy
Mat. {\bf18}, Warszawa.
\end{thebibliography}
\end{document}

The contents of test.sty are:

\let\pol\l
 % \renewcommand{\l}{\mathop{\ell}}

Everything works well.  Now take out the comment mark and it blows up.
Using \def instead of \renewcommand makes no difference.  It is only in
the \cite macro that the problem arises; take that out and the reference
is set correctly.  I believed that \let sets it argument in stone; that
no further redefinition of \l would have any effect on \pol, but this is
apparently not the case.  Any help would be appreciated.  I can and will
fill in the citation by hand, if necessary, but I would like to know
what is going on.

Michael Barr