[texhax] Latex in spanish and using the spell check

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sat Aug 18 15:25:43 CEST 2007

Douglas Lewan wrote:

> You can use spanish (or portuguese or german or ...) characters
> directly.
>
> Try this:
>
>     \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
>
> Most of the ISO 8859 latin alphabets are supported.

I would follow this advice (though I would use utf8, instead of
latin1), which has the advantage that you can type población, poblaci
\'on or poblaci\'{o}n and you'll get the same output.

To be able to type poblaci\'on and J.~N (without getting J.Ñ) use

\usepackage[spanish]{babel}
\let\layoutspanish\relax

Best,

Axel