[texhax] How to suppress subfloat label

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Thu Aug 9 20:07:13 CEST 2007

Hello all,

I am using the subfig package to insert subfigures in a document.  I would
like one of my figures to contain both a long caption and a short caption,
so that the long caption appears beneath the figure but the short caption
appears in the List of Figures.  My code looks like this:

\begin{figure}
  \centering
  \subfloat[ ... very long caption ... ]{\includegraphics...}
  \caption{A short, manageable caption.}
  \label{foo}
\end{figure}

This renders as follows:

          -----------------

               graphics

          (a) ... very long
          caption .......

Figure 1: A short, manageable caption.

My question: is there any way to suppress the "(a)" subfigure label at the
beginning of the subfloat caption?  I would like to do this just for one
subfigure, not globally.

Thanks in advance!

-Brandon