[texhax] Cannot get international language support in bibliography ...

Philip & Le Khanh Philip-and-LeKhanh at Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org
Sun Apr 15 21:44:23 CEST 2007

I think your problem is a combination of elements :

1) I think you are assuming that all accented characters
    have a simple representation in TeX, and

2) I think you are assuming that the default TeX fonts
    include the Slovenian/Croation/Serbian \DJ and \dj
    characters (note that these would be the preferred
    forms, not \{DJ} or \{dj}, neither of which could
    be understood by (La)TeX).

Sadly neither of these is the case.  It may well be
that the new "Latin Modern" fonts have the necessary
characters, but I leave it up to those more familiar
with these fonts to advise here.  If they do, then
you will probably need to load a macro package to
tell TeX how to interpret \DJ and \dj, neither of
which are pre-defined in (La)TeX.

If you can tell us exactly how \DJ and \dj /should/
look (ideally by pointing at a Unicode web page which
contains those characters, and telling us where to
look), we may be able to advise further.  (I took
a quick look at http://www.slovenia.info/?lng=1&id_country=1
but was unable to spot anything that might have been
a \DJ or \dj glyph).

Philip Taylor
--------