[texhax] Font help needed.

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 12:47:45 CEST 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 03:14:21PM -0400, John R. Culleton wrote:
> But laxc3583 doesn't seem to appear anywhere on my system.  And the
> system tries but cannot generate a tfm file when I use this:
> \font\rx laxc3583

I'm not positive on this, but I recall that tfm files are generated on
the fly by mktextfm from metafont sources for LH fonts (even though
pdftex might actually use pfb file, not pk).  So most probably you
don't have write permissions for the directory where tfm files are
stored.

> There are dozens of these instances. Must I generate each tfm
> individually with afm2tfm or the like?

Try processing your TeX file once as root (or any other user which has
permissions to write tfm), so that the tfm files are created.
Thereafter you should be able to process TeX files as a normal user.

HTH,
Oleg