[texhax] Installed TeX fonts WAS adding boldface to \tt

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Apr 13 00:41:39 CEST 2007

On Monday 30 October 2006 15:26, Uwe Lück wrote:
> At 16:48 29.10.06, Karl Berry wrote:
> >Many people
> >don't really want to see a few thousand tfm file names as the
> > answer to the question, "What fonts do I have?".
> >
> >I suggest looking at http://tug.org/fonts/ (and the links thereon)
> > for human-written listing of the free fonts available for TeX.
> > Just about all of them are in TeX Live, and probably other
> > distributions too.

Available is one question, installed is another. I can conceive of a
scheme that first identified the names of all the tfm files
installed, then used one or more map files to identify the "real"
font involved, and finally searched for the existence of that real
file.  Alternatively one could start with a list of all the pfb files
on the system and search the composite map files for instances where
those pfb files were referenced. The names of the pfb files and the
tfm files are unfortunately not identical or even in a one to one
relationship. And then there are truetype...

It doesn't help that apparently plain TeX uses one set of mappings and
pdftex another. But perhaps the map files could be catenated, sorted
and dupes eliminated. A subset map file that dealt only with the
fonts actually included in TeXLive would be a great help.

I am not personally involved with non-western fonts. I look for fonts
that can be used in books in English. If anyone has run all those
down that would be a start.

I will do some sifting and sorting today to see what is what on my
base texlive 2007 installation. This will exclude the Ghostscript,
Gimp etc. fonts as well as my texmf-local fonts but I can track them
down when needed. I will create a pdf showing what I have found, an
available type 1 font listing with A-Z and a-z as well as sample
text.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com