[texhax] boldfacing words from a list

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Thu Sep 28 23:50:04 CEST 2006

Chris:

> My hope was to be able to bold them somewhat automatically, only having
> to type any markup commands once.

Make a program!

> Thus, typing \vocabulary{profits} every time that word appears in the
> source is no easier than typing \textbf{profits} every time it appears.
>  In fact, the former is more keystrokes.

Make a program!

Here's a csh or tcsh script that will do it.  It is not smart enough
(nor am I in this horrid language) to deal with words at ends of lines
- just add a space and a '%' to protect it.

#!/bin/tcsh -f
#(ie run the tshell on this but don't read the .cshrc or .tcshrc)

echo version = 1.00 of boldit 2006 Sep 28
# 2006 Sep 28, 1.00: origin

if ($#argv < 2) then
  echo 'usage: boldit [latex.tex file] [word list]
  echo 'Put a LaTeX bold command on every word listed in the file.'
  exit
endif

# define the arguments:
set latex = $1
set wordlist = $2
set name = "\\textbf"

set tmp = /tmp/`whoami`.boldit

cp $latex $tmp

# step through the wordlist and change each word
foreach word (`cat $wordlist`)

  echo "changing $word"
  cat $tmp |\
  # convert words surrounded by spaces: \
  sed "s/ $word / $name{$word} /g" |\
  # convert words at beginning of line, followed by a space: \
  sed "s/^$word /\\textbf{$word} /g" |\
  # convert words at ending of line, preceeded by a space: \
# sed "s/ $word\\$/\\textbf{$word} /g" |\  this doesn't work \
# sed "s/ $word$/\\textbf{$word} /g" |\    this doesn't work \
# sed "s/ $word\$/\\textbf{$word} /g" |\   this doesn't work \
  cat > $latex
  cp $latex $tmp

end

echo ----

Save the text, give permissions to execute (with chmod).

If you have a Mac (OSX) you can do this easily with the Terminal.  On
a Windows you're on your own but cygwin probably can run the script.

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)