[texhax] boldfacing words from a list

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Thu Sep 28 19:33:41 CEST 2006

Philip:

> > \newcommand{\vocabulary}{\textbf{#1}}
>
> Possibly ...  That looks like LaTeX-ese, which
> I don't speak; I would have written the Plain
> version, something along the lines of :
>
> 	\def \vocabulary #1{\textbf {#1}}

Yes.

> if I guess that \textbf {#1} has much the same
> effect as Plain TeX's {\bf #1}.

Yes.

> > Now combine that with a program that puts these calls automatically
> > into the LaTeX and it's even less work ...
>
> I expect WinEDT could manage that : it can manage most things :-)

The problem with doing things with an editor is that you can't easily
repeat them (unless you build a bunch of macros) and it may be hard to
string them together with processing by other programs.  Finally, it
can be impossible to automate, see:

http://www.ccrnp.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/atchange.html

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)