[texhax] Collection for social sciences and the humanities for TeXLive 2006

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at gmx.de
Tue Sep 19 15:08:41 CEST 2006

Uwe Lück <uwe.lueck at web.de> writes:

> [Better ignore: two men misunderstanding each other
>   -- concerning TeXLive here -- I don't expect a reply]

Not two men, but three: "When will we three meet again...?" ;-)

Well, if you don't expect a reply why do you bother sending this mail,
then, Uwe? I am a bit suprised that my question for help has triggered
this comprehensive a discussion... Hopefully, the misunderstanding can
be cleared up.

>>     Now, it is not clear to me what will be on TL-Social concerning
>>
>>Your use of "TL-Social" puzzles me.  What Juergen has done is a new
>>collection within TL, not a whole distribution that will have a separate
>>existence.
>
> [What is a "collection" as opposed to a "distribution" with "separate
> existence"?]

Collection-humanities is part of the TeX Live distribution. It is not
a seperate TeX distro.

>>      ... not found. Please input another file name:
>>
>>I don't know.  But the default is and will be to install all packages,
>>so a user will have to override that default to run into such issues.
>
> [Sorry, when "all packages are installed", what for is the
> "collection"?]

Uwe, do you know TeX Live at all? TeX Live is divided into several
sets of packages fit for a particular purpose. These sets are called
collections.  This way, you can "compose" you personal TeX distro by
selecting collections from the choice provided. A complete install is
recommended, but you can install less packages by selecting
collections individually.

So your concerns about packages from collection-humanities not working
properly is unfounded because if someone doesn't choose a complete
install it is the normal way in TeX Live to post-install the
collections that contain packages which you find are missing for the
job you want to do. It is impossible to provide collections that do
not rely at all on one another. So, there is no reason to worry
neither to change anything more about collection-latexextra etc.

Regards,
Jürgen.