[texhax] environment with smaller typeface and narrower margins

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Sep 5 16:15:43 CEST 2006

On Sep 4, 2006, at 9:25 AM, Jonathan Myles wrote:

> Is there a way of defining an environment, {query} say,
> so that I can write
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%
> Bloggs et al explain that.....
>
> \begin{query}
>  is my understanding of this correct? Can we improve it by....
> \end{query}
>

> They then go on ....
>
> %%%%%%%%%
>
> and my query will come out in a different typeface with narrower
> margins?

Yes. However, you need to ask yourself how this will interact at page
breaks?

If they're to be a part of the typeset book, and to break across
pages, this requires a fair bit of work --- it's been discussed on
comp.text.tex.

If it's okay for them to be set monolithically, all one one or the
other side of a page break (usually carried to the next page if too
close to the bottom) then it's quite straightforward (just create a
macro to put everything in a parbox along with a font change
command). The memoir manual has a fairly lengthy and detailed bit on
it, as well as an environment to use for it.

Here's the FAQ page on this;

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=chngmargonfly

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.