[texhax] Converting LaTeX files into MS Word

Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI) rjf2 at cdc.gov
Wed Nov 22 20:20:05 CET 2006

From: peralta <peralta at cc.usu.edu>
> I am about to begin writing a book for a publisher.
> The publisher says they prefer to receive

> the text

you probably want to seek some more clarification on what they mean by 'text'

> via MS Word files.
> I will have many equations,
> and was considering using LaTeX,

consider using pdfLaTeX
to produce a .pdf

> which I have downloaded and explored.
> From the FAQs,
> I believe there is no conversion program available
> that can convert complicated documents
> created on LaTeX into MS Word.

others have already addressed that issue.
my only comment is: words as text are not a document.

> Is that correct? If so, I will not use LaTeX.

you should consider searching the texhax archives
for similar threads.

Reasons I, as a book author, chose LaTeX over MS Word
* I had five years typesetting experience
* I have 15 years programming experience
* I use a professional text editor
* MS campaigns around other issues of FUD: Fear, Uncertainly, Doubt:
  Was it 44 pages, or filesize=44KB
  when MS Word -might- crash?
  and take your document and your backups with it?
  ** anecdotes from friends who are technical writers
  ** Word to Wise: keep it small and back up often
* document assembly of separate (usually chapter) files:
  * learning Word's Master Document is a learning curve in its own right
  * learning to use LaTeX \input and \include is easy, and simple
* value added by LaTeX
  *yes, can be done in Word, yeahBut
  * page numbering,
  * section, subsection, etc. and equation numbering
  * table of contents
    * see also minitoc for chapter and section ToC
  * list of tables and figures
  * bibliography
  * footnotes

you do know that TeX was written expressly for typesetting equations?

> Richard Peralta
> Utah State Univ.

do you know Nelson Beebe?
http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/

are you interested in seeking a publisher
who wishes to have text in xml?

Ron Fehd  the LaTeX maven