[texhax] Converting LaTeX files into MS Word

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Nov 22 15:56:14 CET 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 7:03 AM, peralta wrote:

> I am about to begin writing a book for a publisher. The publisher
> says they
> prefer to receive the text via MS Word files. I will have many
> equations, and
> was considering using LaTeX, which I have downloaded and explored.
> From the
> FAQs, I believe there is no conversion program available that can
> convert
> complicated documents created on LaTeX into MS Word. Is that
> correct? If so, I
> will not use LaTeX.

Well, there's the commercial program tex2word, though the free
latex2rtf is quite good.

That said, getting equations from anything into a page layout program
can be quite arduous, and it's best to take this into consideration
up-front.

Using LaTeX, and then getting a custom format to directly typeset the
book is the best option, especially if there's a tight schedule.

More typical methods involve re-setting _all_ of the equations using
an XTension or plug-in in Quark XPress or InDesign, which requires
checking _all_ of the equations, character-for-character.

Another option would be to use MathType equations in Word and then
compose the book on a Windows system which also has that installed
--- I believe the OLE objects will be preserved, but this only works
if the equations need not be coloured.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.