[texhax] Reducing space after section headings

Paul Tremblay phthenry at iglou.com
Thu May 25 17:18:11 CEST 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 10:31:19AM -0700, M Senthil Kumar wrote:
> From: M Senthil Kumar <senthil at cdfd.org.in>
> To: texhax at tug.org
> Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 10:31:19 -0700
> Subject: [texhax] Reducing space after section headings
>
> Hi,
> Can anyone please tell me a way to reduce the whitespace after section
> headings in a LaTeX document.
>
> Right now, it appears like this, kind of ugly:
>
> 1. Materials and Methods (Section)
> 	-
> 	|  <- I want to reduce the vertical space.
> 	-
> 	1.1 Materials (Subsection)

If you are using the memoir package, you use this command:

\setlength{\aftersecskip }{.50in}

If you are not using the memoir package, you have to redefine the
\section command itself. I'm not sure exactly how to do this, but
others on this mailing list showed me how. I have the notes somewhere
if you need to do this.

Paul