[texhax] Left-flushed equations

Micha Hofri hofri at WPI.EDU
Thu May 18 12:13:50 CEST 2006

At 07:39 on 05/18/06 Dieter Meinert sent:

: Hi Micha,
:  try \usepackage{fleqn} in your preamble.
:
: Dieter Meinert

Thanks Dieter, does the job.  Just fine.

Now a related question: how do I control spacing above and below displays
(I need to reduce it drastically)?

Do I need to modify the given rubber length parameters /and/ the relevant
penalties (and I am not yet sure which those be)?

--Micha Hofri

PS:  Your Bayesian filter is biased?

:
: |=> -----Original Message-----
: |=> From: texhax-bounces at tug.org
: |=> [mailto:texhax-bounces at tug.org] On Behalf Of Micha Hofri
: |=> Sent: Mittwoch, 17. Mai 2006 17:30
: |=> To: texhax at tug.org
: |=> Subject: [SPAM:] - [texhax] Left-flushed equations -
: |=> Bayesian Filter detected spam
: |=>
: |=>
: |=> Dear all:
: |=>
: |=> I am trying to create a list of formulas, implemented as a list
: |=> of equations.
: |=> In fact,  I want to convert an existing one (typeset in
: |=> troff) to latex,
: |=> before I make additional changes.  The list can be seen in
: |=> http://web.cs.wpi.edu/~hofri/formula.pdf
: |=>
: |=> The problem is, that if the equations are not flushed left
: |=> the page looks
: |=> terrible, and I failed to find a way to do it.
: |=>
: |=> I use the class amsart.  Is this a bad choice?
: |=>
: |=> According to the Latex Companion the option fleqn defines a
: |=> rubber left
: |=> indent, \mathindent, and it makes the page look wobbly.  Is
: |=> there a way
: |=> to cure this rubber? that is, harden it at 0pt?
: |=>
: |=> Or another approach that delivers this end result?
: |=>
: |=> I can of course give up the automatic labeling and use
: |=> paragraphs with
: |=> \displaystyle, but the renumbering and the use of \eqref are very
: |=> desirable.
: |=>
: |=> Thanks,                  --Micha
: |=> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
: |=> More links: http://tug.org/begin.html
: |=>
: |=> Automated subscription management:
: |=>
: Visit ROSEN on the Internet: www.RosenInspection.net