[texhax] are the gui's catching up ?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon May 8 14:54:04 CEST 2006

On May 7, 2006, at 2:15 AM, debian wrote:

> This is perhaps a naive question and _not_ flame bait.  I love
> latex dearly.
>
> Crystal ball gazing: are the gui-word-type packages catching up with
> tex/latex ?

Bit by bit, insofar as it's possible, yes.

I never cease to be amused by how features I find invaluable in TeX/
LaTeX are down-played by graphic designers using Quark or InDesign
_until_ they're available in Quark or InDesign, or how they rave
about being able to do things in the latest version which were never
before possible ('cept that I'd been doing them in TeX / LaTeX for
well-nigh a decade, and others since its inception).

> Might all my learning effort currently become redundant
> in a few years time ?

No. InDesign will never have a built-in equation editor, Quark XPress
will never allow contextual element placement based on calculations,
doing things interactively and visually will never equal the speed
and efficiency of setting up a computer system to do something once
and then allowing it to do at least a first compleat pass w/o human
intervention.

I'm typesetting a journal right now, while it's done in Quark XPress
it simply wouldn't be possible to do in the 48-hour turn-around time
desired w/o a bunch of pre-processing WordBASIC macros and fancy
search-replace, and it's still tight 'cause of Quark's crashing and
the number of things which have to be done manually:

  - pull in graphics and size text frames to enclose graphics and
captions and place them (This could be a bit more automatic if we had
Emsoftware's Xtags)
  - switch between one and two column mode (FrameMaker could do this)
  - compose paragraphs nicely (InDesign would at least do this, using
TeX's H&J algorithm)
  - check every hyphen in the document to see if it should be a
hyphen, a non-breaking hyphen, and en-dash, an em-dash or a minus
sign (an author using TeX would get this right --- to be fair
there're one or two authors who at least place minus signs from
Word's symbol palette)
  - break the monolithic Quark document into discrete chapter-
sized .qxd files (each of which is ~150MB 'cause of Quark embedding
graphic previews) --- LaTeX would allow me to process individual
chapters using \includeonly to break them out.

I'm hoping to have this issue done early enough to work up the LaTeX
macros to do one chapter in LaTeX to see if they notice the difference.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.