[texhax] using both sides of page for a 2-up latex document?

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Tue May 2 05:51:49 CEST 2006

My daughter has to create a simple invitation for her senior art show in
high school.  I thought it might be educational for me and for her to
try to do it in latex.  We've already done it in OpenOffice.org, but it
involved a lot of manual dragging of frames here and there and took a
long time to get a less-than-perfect layout.

The invitations are to be approx 8.5 inches by 5.5 inches, laid out
side-by-side on letter paper, in "2-up" fashion, so they can be cut
apart into two separate invitations.  So far that's easy.

On the back of the text, there is to be an image of one of her pieces of
artwork. It is supposed to occupy almost all of the back side, save for
a small margin all around.  We scanned one of her B&W photos into an
image file (currently jpg, but we could convert it to just about
anything.)  The thing I'm finding difficult is centering the image so
that it aligns with the centered text on the front side, so that when we
cut them in two, both text and image will be in the center (in all
directions) of their respective now-half-sized sheets of paper.

What is the best latex way to do this?  So far, I have experimented with
the booklet package.

Thanks.

--Chris Ryan