[texhax] jpeg into LaTeX

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at uninsubria.it
Mon Mar 20 10:26:12 CET 2006

> I've been frustrated by something for the longest time.

In my experience, reading then manuals does actually save time in the end!

> I can't find a way to get any kind of picture/diagram into a
> Latex program.  I've been told that I can convert a jpeg into
> a PDF format, but I don't have Adobe.

If you're using LaTeX, then the figures need to be in encapsulated
postscript (.eps): you can convert a jpeg using jpg2ps.

If you're using PdfLaTeX, then jpeg is ok.

> I tried to use Microsoft
> Publisher to convert to post script, but I don't have a post
> script printer.

Just set up a fake postscript printer and print to file (select maximum
portability).

> I've also had trouble getting to different fonts.
> I can't use  'Rustic,' for example.

Have you got the font?

Cheers,  Phil Ratcliffe

P.S.  You might try looking at the FAQ below---it also exists in pdf format.