[texhax] Typesetting - Font Problem?

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Sun Mar 19 01:06:00 CET 2006

Reinhard:

>   > But Sophia IS probably using LaTeX2e - that's why she got that
>   > message!
>
> No, she uses LaTeX-2.09 compatibility mode which provides a LaTeX-2.09
> environment.

She didn't know what the message means or how to fix it.

If she were using LaTeX-2.09 then she could not have gotten that
message!  The compatibility mode IS part of the package that runs
LaTeX2e.

So she has (I infer) LaTeX2e available BUT because of the first line
of her .tex file, I infer that she is getting it to switch to
"LaTeX-2.09 compatibility mode".  Being a beginner, she presumably did
not know about this switch.  So saying 'use LaTeX2e' is useless to her
- she (probably) ALREADY has it available and is calling it the right
way from the command line!  It is much more helpful to say HOW to
solve the problem!

Regards,

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)