[texhax] \special{} and postscript

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Fri Mar 17 00:25:31 CET 2006

Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:

> And you can't use graphicx, but must do it yourself?

Yes, I can't seem to use graphicx, though if you can tell me how to do
that, please do.

I'm not writing a single document, but preparing a class file that will
be used in many documents.  I want to be able to call on the company
logo with macros like \companylogosmall and \companylogolarge, but right
now the only way I can see to do that with graphicx involves using
\includegraphics and duplicating the logo eps file in many different
places (one for each of many different documents) around the file
hierarchy.  The logo isn't big, so I imagined that if I tucked it into
the bottom of the class file, it would have these advantages:

 o Don't need to use \includegraphics in the documentation files
   themselves, since the logo only really needs to be in the title page
   and page headers.  This makes the files themselves simpler looking,
   and still leaves the macros available if someone wants to be cute.

 o It makes managing the effort easier.  (i.e. no one would complain to
   me that the logo was missing because he forgot to install it in a
   subdirectory.)  If the logo changes, I can deal with it in one
   place.

As I said, if you can suggest to me how to plant one graphics file next
to the class definition file and have \includegraphics find it, or some
other way to gain these two advantages, I'm all ears.

Thanks again to all for all the help,

 -tom