[texhax] Typesetting

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Thu Mar 16 10:41:33 CET 2006

Sophia Saucedo :

> Hello Support,
>
> I am new to Tex and am trying to typeset a document that someone else
> created.  But I keep getting the following:

> ! Package inputenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined
> (inputenc)                in inputencoding `latin1'.
>
> See the inputenc package documentation for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.171 Recently, Cuenca, Elduque and P^^8e
>                                         rez

most likely your file has been written on windows or similar and your
document is expecting an encoding used on Linux.

try substituting

\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}

with

\usepackage[ansinew]{inputnec}

/daleif

``You cannot help men permanently by doing for them
what they could and should do for themselves. ''
  -- Abraham Lincoln