[texhax] TeX or LaTeX "engine" for Windows PC

Greg Long gllong at maine.rr.com
Tue Mar 7 15:01:31 CET 2006

Dear TeX Users Group,

I'm writing an application using Visual Basic and I would like to use the TeX or LaTeX
"engine" to generate formatted mathematical equations. My application and user
interface does more than generate mathematics equations, hence, I'm not necessarily
interested in using an existing TeX package such as MiKTeX (unless I have to write
functions that call MiKTeX to generate the formatted mathematics).

I essentially need instructions, a Tech Note, or book, that would walk me through the
process of using the TeX or LaTeX "engine" to generate the formatted equations.
When I use the word "engine," I essentially mean source code, or other software that
is compatible with a Windows PC that is the "bare bones" of TeX or LaTeX. The source
code can be written in Visual Basic, C, C++, or C# (or whatever language the code is freely
available in).

I know you have many resources on your website, and right now it isn't clear where to
begin. If you can suggest any good starting points, that would be very helpful. Thank you.

Greg