[texhax] pound-sterlings

Gary Knott knott at civilized.com
Thu Jun 22 23:53:28 CEST 2006

Dear Tom,

Thanks for responding.  I have tried both
\usepackage{times} and \usepackage{mathptmx}

But, my problem is not getting a listing per se.

I can get a good listing with the command
dvips -o book.ps book.dvi

The problem is that I need to make a
pdf file that is both screen-viewable and printable.
I have read that this means using so-called type-1
fonts.

As I understand it, I can make a .ps file
with type-1 fonts by typing:
dvips -Ppdf -o book.ps book.dvi
and then make my .pdf file by typing:
ps2pdf12 book.ps book.pdf

However(!) printing the file book.ps created
with the -Ppdf switch via the command lpr book.ps,
has "fi" replaced by pound-sterling everywhere - and
"fl" is some strange char too.  I expect this means that
book.pdf is broken too.

You suggested using:
dvips -Pdownload35 -o book.ps book.dvi
- That works, as does [dvips -o book.ps book.dvi] -
but, I still need the type-1 fonts pdf file, so
I tried [dvips -Pdownload35 -Ppdf -o book.ps book.dvi]
and that failed! (pound-sterlings appear again!)

I hope you or someone can explain what's going on.

Thanks, gary knott. knott at civilized.com

tom sgouros wrote:
> What font are you using?  If you're using Times, Palatino and some
> others I can't remember, the font is not included in the output by dvips
> (even though the documentation says that including the font is the
> default) so you rely on the hp printer to have the same font as you TeX
> installation, and ligatures are often casualties of any conflict.  Try
> this:
>
>  dvips -Pdownload35 book.dvi
>
> The "35" refers to the 35 basic postscript fonts, that someone else here
> can list for you.
>
>  -tom

| Spoken: Gary D. Knott      Email: knott at civilized.com       |
| Phone: (301) 962-3711      MIME mail welcome                |
| web: www.civilized.com  (Please look at our HomePage!)      |
| USPS: Civilized Software Inc., 12109 Heritage Park Circle,  |
|       Silver Spring, Maryland 20906, USA                    |